Tuesday, October 2, 2007

News from The NYT


As you probably know by now, Haile Gebrselassie won the Berlin Marathon in record time on Sunday. I saw him interviewed after the NYC Half Marathon in August, and I loved how he laughed about the other runners who were ‘crazy’ to run those Central Park hills too fast. Anybody who can laugh about a race, or even crack a smile after a killer workout like that is OK by me.

Marathon World Record in Berlin


Hmm. Somebody at The Times has discovered that runners have a subculture. Who would’ve known? Anyway, it’s worth reporting on, obviously. To be honest, I’m not making fun of this article, but at the very least ‘we hold these truths to be self-evident’. Catchy, huh?

Keeping Up With The Pack


And finally, another article from The NYT, this one about how body size can be an indicator of success in athletic pursuit. Interesting. But we don't care, right?

Bigger Is Better, Except When It’s Not

4 comments:

Angry Runner said...

Running with an actual group and not the newbies at Team in Training would probably be good for me, but
I'mso damn antisocial it hurts.

The article on "body type" is strikingly true, as I can attest to that whole theory. I ran until I got injured, then got in the pool until my shoulder got all screwed up, then I ran again until I got injured, then I spent thousands on a 5'1, 100 lb All American XC runner who fixed my legs. I have yet to get back in the pool.
Anyways, an idiot like me who can swim split in the top 20% in a race with barely any conditioning pretty much proves this guy's theory.

Renee said...

Runners have a subculture? This is insane.
Running must be so last year if the Times finally caught up with us. Get it, caught up?

No Wetsuit Girl said...

I thought that running was "So 1985". Psh! But, okay, I'll admit it, the running group article reminded me of high school cross country and convinced me to go out and find a group. Maybe I'll finally stop hating running.

And as far as the "Bigger is Better", I'm short and fat, so according to the article I should be a good distance runner, good time trialing cyclist, and a good swimmer. It hasn't worked out that way...

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Time to start our own '1985 Angry Running Team', like a weird John Hughes movie that never got made. The soundtrack (Psychedelic Furs, Run-DMC, et al) would be done in ten minutes. We'd trumph over anti-social behavior, wrong body types and dialogue filled with puns to win the last race of the season. Yeah!