Monday, October 8, 2007

I Ran Chicago and All I Got Was a White, Long-Sleeve Cotton Tee-Shirt

Really, that’s what they gave us for the $110 entry fee. Not a nice, technical shirt we could actually use, but some typical, numbskull beefy-T they’re too embarrassed to hand out at the East Bumfuck Leap Year 10K. Not to mention running out of water starting at Mile Seven. Details, details.

As you can tell, I survived, and survived enough to write (upon my return to NYC just now) something snarky about the hellish heat of Chicago Marathon ’07.

But I was there, I did it, and I’m just fine. I didn’t finish too close to where I wanted to, but I was happy enough to finish ten minutes off of it, which is better than about ten or twenty THOUSAND runners did yesterday.

I will post an agonizing discussion soon on what went right and what went wrong (and when it did, it was a doozy), but I just wanted to let Satan’s Helpers know he’s fine and actually feeling better than normal after a marathon.

See, it’s ‘Rocktober’ after all!

- R

2 comments:

Renee said...

For $110 they could have arranged with your nemesis for better weather. I'm looking forward to your full report!

rustyboy said...

Congrats on not only surviving, but getting so close to your goal!

Oh, and how I LOVE the idea of a long-sleeved tshirt being handed out in the sweltering heat to runners as their "goody bag gift". I think next year at Badwater, they're giving out mittens and pea coats.