Wednesday, October 3, 2007

If It Doesn’t Kill You, It Just Makes You Faster






















Time to title this midweek confessional with a play on a now over-used tough-guy quote. ‘Take no prisoners’ was, well, taken.

So I’m running the Chicago Marathon on Sunday, 8AM. I’m joining two ladies from Philadelphia’s Morning Glories, informal running team circa 1999, before and after. I’ll be joining R.B. (aka Running Bitch) and Bambi for another insane tour of an American city. You’d think we could just plan a vacation and go somewhere, but no, we have to go to a tiring ‘expo’ and fight serial dehydration and fatigue for hours the next day. Oh, and pay other people to make us do all that.


So as I type this, I’ll say the things that I didn’t want to say out loud for fear they weren’t true, or perhaps ‘jinx’ myself, whatever that means. Screw all that. Here is what I know four days before the race:

1. My training generally went well, and I feel strong. My Achilles tendonitis from a month ago is nowhere to be seen or felt, and hasn’t been an issue for at least a week. I feel good. Of course, I’m having those phantom leg pains that everyone gets during the taper, but I’m NOT injured. And no, I’m not protesting too much. Then again, if I’m that self-aware, maybe I am protesting too much. I guess I’ll go back to sticking my fingers in my ears and doing that ‘la-la-la-la’ bit again. Bottom line: I’m doing fine.

2. Chicago is flat, except for a small hill at the very end that will no doubt turn me into a cranky runner. Wait a minute, too late avoiding that, I’m already there. Next!

3. The Chicago weather forecast as of now (Wednesday) is: HOT. As in: sun/clouds and a high of 86 degrees, a possible record-breaking day. Then again, I ran a slew of races over the summer in moderate heat, and anyway, I’m not going to start complaining over something I have no control over. How mellow I’ve become in the face of adversity, dear reader.

4. I’m going into this thinking it’s just another long run (a really long run) with better catering. I do know what I’d like my finish time to be, and it’s not unreasonable, but that’s between me and my legs. I can say I usually plan to finish under four hours, it’s my ‘I’ve hit the wall, but I’ll crawl if I must’ finish time.


SO, your cranky pal is #3237, corral B, from what I can tell, a good spot. Have to be there by 7:45, and I’d best be done by noon so as to avoid the worst part of the heat. I shall return with stories that will warm your heart, no doubt. If it goes well, I won’t be shy, and if not, you can join me in the post-race goth gloomfest.


But right now, it’s looking and feeling like it’s going to be Rocktober after all. Dude!


P.S. Somebody else is running a really long time this Sunday, so let ReneeMc know that she and all that shiny hair will be just fine.

7 comments:

rustyboy said...

Have a wonderful race, Senor Satan!

My money's on you tearing up that last hill and laughing in it's wake.

No Wetsuit Girl said...

Good luck! I've never heard of someone so calm before a marathon, even a veteran like you.

Hope it's great so that I get to read a great race report.

mindy said...

Cranky - Crank. It. Out. Best of luck - you will be spectacular. You're rested, ready, and running like never before. Send my best to R.B. as well. As a former member of said Morning Glories, I had the pleasure (yes, really!) of having this very Satan accompany me on my first marathon ever. It was a gift and an honor and I have never forgotten it. To be shepherded through the world's greatest running distance (I'm biased) and all the literal and figurative ups and downs along the way with a dear friend is something to be cherished. So tear it up Cranky!! Stay hydrated, put that hammer down, and show them how it's done. ...And have a big slice of Chicago deep dish for me after :)

Renee said...

Good luck. If you're out there until noon, I want to hear why.
Thanks for the well wishes and shout out. Back to panicking!

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Thank you all! I will remeber all these good wishes on the course (I'll need to!), I appreciate it.

Mindy, let us not forget how you steered me through one of my roughest marathons, and across the 14th St Bridge at the Marine Corps Marathon. THAT was an honor having you there to talk me through the last half of hell, and hold my head in case I puked, which I'm happy to say didn't happen. But you were there for me, too, so let's get that out there, too. Anyway, you'll hear from me soon, and thanks for all the kind words and support and laughs along the way...

- R

Angry Runner said...

Run Fast. Enjoy the race, sir.

Stephanie said...

Have a great race! You'll do great:-)