Thursday, August 2, 2007

Sunday is the NYC Half Marathon



And I got my official race shirt… looks cotton, but it’s a cotton/poly microfiber blend pretending to be a gray, standard college jock/lunkhead tee. ‘Property of NYC Half’, it says. Some real cutting edge shit going on there. Anyway, free name printing, can’t pass that up. Should’ve had them spell out ‘S-A-T-A-N’, but I don’t want to scare the little kids. Oh, who am I kidding, I didn’t think of getting that put on there in time. Hey, at least I’m honest.

So I have to be in line by 6:15 (the race starts at 7), before the stern race directors cut off the course entrance. 10,000 runners looping around Central Park, down 7th, through the tourist black hole some call Times Square, across 42nd, then down the West Side Highway to Battery Park. Hills, more hills, then flat.

Last year it rained like Mr. and Mrs. Mofo, and shoes turned into water buckets. This year, the forecast is for hot and hotter, and I believe it. We have officially reached that time of the year when you find yourself wanting to take another shower mid-day, around five hours after the last one and five hours before the next.

Hmm, not trying to think about this one too hard, but with the last five races being mid-6 minute miles, the speed carrot dangles. Then again, they weren’t half marathons in 80-90 degree weather. As usual, I’ll just show up, curse the fannypackers up front at the start, maintain 85% effort, and get really tired and angry in the last two miles. I can practically hear myself saying ‘where is that #$%&@ finish line?’ near the end. Or the ever-popular Frankenstein-inspired ‘must… make… it… to… next… water station…’, which is about as complete a sentence as your brain can compose in summer race heat. The horror… the horror…

6 comments:

Angry Runner said...

Best. T-Shirt. Ever. I'm inspired to start my own clothing line now; all the rappers do it!

That is also the best use of "mofo" I've ever seen. Well done!

Enjoy the race.

Ron said...

A half-marathon in August? I don't care where its at, you got to have-um' to run-um'. You don't need good luck wishes... You need to see a doctor...

What makes us do this?... I said us, because I'd run it to.
Nice shirt and remember it's just two five mile races and a 5k at the end.... That always works... Not.

But good luck anyway, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger....Hey I just noticed something, you can't spell stronger, without ron in the middle.
(I know I need a life)
Happy runs, runron

Stephanie said...

I ran the half last year...yes, it rained bad! It was great to run along times square though, but at the end I almost died!

Like the shirt, now you only have to look real cranky, too and your're ready to go (i should have worn that shirt last year)

Dubs said...

I am so loving that they can now make the technical shirts that look like regular cotton!

Love the name on the shirt, even if it isn't the most cutting edge graphics.

Renee said...

That shirt is a shitload better than last year's, which I saw about 45 men on CoolRunning say made them look gay. Well, it is the New York City Half, and hello, this is the gay capitol of the East Coast.
I covet that shirt, but why isn't it sleeveless for August?

You'll knock 'em dead on Sunday, and probably have some fun too.

No Wetsuit Girl said...

Good thing you're the "cranky" and not "crotchety" runner because probably a lot of 12-year-olds would snicker at you if your shirt said "crotchety".

It sho' is hot out there. I hope you don't wilt before the finish line. DRINK LOTS OF LIQUIDS, please.