Friday, August 10, 2007

iPod Friday 16: Truck Rock!
















Years ago, I came up with my own name for a music genre that I started hearing every so often on oldies stations: Truck Rock. You know, lots of Steve Miller, Foreigner, Pat Benatar, Heart, et al; heavy, but not quite metal. Something white male, middle-aged truckers would listen to while driving skids of Styrofoam cups across the country.

The gym I’ve been going to for about a year now plays Sirius Radio, and the tuner is permanently set on a commercial-free Truck Rock format. Today I heard ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ while doing lat pulldowns, and I couldn’t get ‘Bis-millah! I will not let you go! Let him go!’ out of my head for hours. The gym owners are serious trainers and good guys, but like many who are in or approaching middle age, they kick it old school. That’s OK, but I’ve heard ‘Cold as Ice’ enough times now, thanks. Oh, I like some of these songs, I’m not hating on anybody, it’s just, well, do I have to hear Eddie Money’s ‘Take Me Home Tonight’ every single frickin’ day? Well, it could be a lot worse, I’ve just heard the new Kanye West song…

So today I leave you with an appropriately heat-related tune that ties in the last post and the Truck Rock format. From the biggest-selling album of ’82, here’s one I’ve heard while on the lat machine recently, it’s a lightly seasoned slice of truck rock, a guilty pleasure straight out of Honkyville. (That last sentence was way too-‘Casey Kasem long distance dedication’, sorry.)

Happy Weekend! Enjoy your long runs and races and whatever-athons….

Asia – Heat of the Moment

3 comments:

rustyboy said...

One of my favorites to hear on a long run. I was howling the harmonies last January during a race out in the middle of nowhere when I realized the person I was approaching had been treated to 3 minutes of my painful attempts to reach the high notes.

Angry Runner said...

Geesh, this is all wayyyyy before my time...

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Well, I deserve what I get, because 'Heat of the Moment' was in active rotation in my brain all damn weekend. That and 'Only Time Will Tell'. Then I realized that many of their titles are vaguely running-related, like 'Don't Cry'... I think I'll stop now.

Glad that somebody else understands wonderful bombastic rock and the need to hit those high notes, Russ. And AR, yes, it may be way before your time, but I look at it this way, Bach and Mozart are way before anybody's time, but that doesn't mean you can't smoke one of their classical joints now and then, too.

Freebird!