Friday, March 28, 2008

iPod Friday 29 – I’m Rick James, Bitch.













In an effort to get me to calm down and stop racing in the pool, and therefore discourage drowning, my swimming trainer advised me to come up with a mantra or something to play in my head to help me relax during the 8-10 seconds at a time when I’m face down in the water. ‘Ever try yoga?’ he asked, and I responded ‘no’, an answer that left neither of us surprised. ‘How about a song, or something like that?’ I asked, and trainer said ‘sure, if that does it for you’.

So the first thing that popped in my head worked somehow, and here’s how it went:


(diving, hands crossed, pointed forward; feet kicking)
She's a very kinky girl…
The kind you don't take home to mother
(head facing down; steadily blowing bubbles)
She will never let your spirits down
Once you get her off the street,
(move right arm down, start to bring up)


I had the rest of the lyrics, along with corresponding swimming ‘moves’ all ready to transcribe, but I figure you’ve heard this tune before anyway... Thus my swimming became ‘super freaky… yow.’

Soon I tired of ‘the kind of girl you read about in Newsweek magazine’, and got a little more current. So last week I started mentally broadcasting the tic-toc’s and doomsday riff off of Mrs. Ritchie’s new song out of Timber-Land.

I leave you with these songs, both have catchy hooks that can drive you crazy. Or get you to the end of the pool, which for me is pretty much the same thing.

Rick James – Super Freak (12”)

Madonna featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland – 4 Minutes

3 comments:

Angry Runner said...

Kickin it old school. You know you've turned into a halfway serious swimmer when you start hypoxically singing to yourself. Let us know when you start rapping at your little nemesis in a challenge of wit and speed.

Speed Racer said...

Looks like someone's still got Little Miss Sunshine on the brain.

Super freak, super freak, super freaky, yow!

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Yeah, old school kicking, with flippers. I thought of the irony of playing Super Freak vs. LM Sunshine, too; must've been some homage to Lil' Nemesis....