Monday, March 10, 2008

Great.


Just when I thought we were going to get a little break from politics on the nightly news… our governor admits to hiring prostitutes. The next ‘turning point’ primary (Pennsylvania) isn’t until the end of April, so until then we get to hear ALL about Mr. Spitzer’s sex life. Thanks, Eliot.

I don’t give a damn what public people do in their homes or hotel rooms, as long as it isn’t hypocritical. But now laughing boy has gone and done it, and now the only thing the media will cover for the foreseeable future is what or who he ordered from room service.

About a year and a half ago, I was walking out of Central Park on a sunny afternoon, and found this goofy-looking runner waddling past me on the path. He wasn’t moving very fast (nothing wrong with that), but I remember thinking to myself ‘this guy needs to get himself to running camp pronto for some emergency help on that running form’. And yes, once he got closer, I realized that it was Mr. Spitzer. Nice to see our public leaders getting out for a little jog, but they, like the rest of us, could use some coaching.

And now, Governor Spitzer needs a lot more than coaching, he needs to learn how to keep it in his pants.

So bring it on, networks, CNN, major cable outlets, the morning shows, late-night comedians, we know what to expect, you never disappoint. I can see it like a truck coming down the highway, inexorable and boring at the same time. For now, real news won’t get reported, only seamy conversations and teary-eyed apologies. If only Mr. Spitzer had just gone out on some goofball run instead of calling Dial-A-Ho.

With that, I will offer one piece of advice for myself or anyone else out there who’s sick of what passes for news these days. Next time you turn on the TV and hear wall-to-wall coverage of this kind of crap, turn the TV off, and go out for a run. And dream of better days.

8 comments:

mindy said...

As a news junkie, it's hard to shut out - but I like the idea of hitting the road for a run instead. Good news, this story will be over in a few days, bad news - it's only going to be replaced by something else. Hopefully the media will develop their own theme music for it (bow-chicka-bow-bow) and name "Shame in NY: Skanks in Da House"

Angry Runner said...

Prostitution...from the guy who had no reservations suing anyone who pissed him off. Oh well. I suppose we can't expect any less.

Phil said...

I completely missed this ... unfortunately, it wasn't big eneough out here in the South West to drown out the constant updates on Britney Spears (too bad ... could have used a new scandel).

Congrats on your 15K by the way.

Phil said...

OK ... I lied. Frat boy Spitzer showed up on the front page of my local rag. Really classy guy. Gets caught paying $4,300 for a girl and THEN drags the ever suffering wife out in public to show family unity.

Good luck getting away from this story.

Sunshine said...

Media's excuse is that they are giving us the news that sells.
And yes, your governor is being well "covered" out here.. even by locals.
WHO buys this stuff anyway?
We are going out to run, too. Good idea!

Unknown said...

Yes, ditto on the "Spitzer's sex scandal sucks!" malaise of 2008. Poor political wives... do you think Silda might run for senator next year as a result? Whatever. I'm really here to tell you that "Satan A. Chilles" is the best screen name EVER. But you knew that.

Bob Almighty said...

Let's see NJ: Governor came out of the closet , CT Governor admits he's courrpt as sin and goes to jail, NY Governor admits he likes call girls, I think we are one step away from the Governor of either PA or RI getting booked for putting out a mafia style hit.

On a side note, I'm back in the pool because it is low impact and I need to keep up my form. I won't start back on the bike or running until after Easter.

Also good job on the 15k, I know first hand how bad it is to run when the wind is blowing you around like a rag doll.

Angry Runner said...

Not for anything, but we are having a field day in the office with this whole ordeal. The best quote thus far is 'He Amtrak'd his ho on the Acela.' I'm not sure why we find that so funny...but we do.