Saturday, February 16, 2008

Race Report: Cherry Tree 10-Miler

Made it over to the borough of Brooklyn this morning for a 10-mile race, three loops of Prospect Park. The weather was clear and sunny, but it sure was cold. Anyway, without going on and on about anything not worth discussing, I did it, along with a few hundred other folks (some doing a three-person relay), and survived pretty well despite the sneaky hills. In the end I managed to finish a little over 1:07:20, and had I known that was going to be just 5 seconds off a 6-year-old PR I’d have really pushed my ass a little faster across the finish line. It was nice to finish reasonably well in a race and still feel OK, especially after a week of feeling tired and bored with the whole swim/bike/run routine I’ve been slogging through. As for that, I’ve come to the realization that maybe I should start splitting up my workouts (as in two a day) instead of doing everything in the morning and getting wiped out after two hours. The ‘swimming’ I’m doing (quotes intentional) alone tires me out before I get to weight training and biking and running. I’m hoping that approaching warmer weather will help me get over all that a little bit, ‘cause I hate late-day workouts.

Sometime later I’ll tell this week's fun story about dropping a swim flipper in the 17 foot deep end of my pool, and being unable to retrieve it from the bottom by myself, asking for help and causing an international incident among the minimum-wage kids managing said pool. Soon enough, a fine young lady in my lane helped me out and got the flipper while the kids went on to make doodles on their clipboards. If it happens again, I may have to start using the age card (“I’m old, I didn’t know what I was doing!”) several decades before I have a right to.

The other news is that I’m going out of town tomorrow, way out of town, for a week or so, and won’t be back until the end of the month. I won’t go into details now, but I PROMISE you I will have some goofball story to relate at some point. Oh, I’m not going anywhere to do a race or something, either. So folks, in the meantime, stay warm, hang in there, because at least the days are getting longer...

2 comments:

Dubs said...

ahh, the flipper. That is something I would totally do!!! I can't even "swim" well enough to consider a tri, unless of course it is a relay and I'm doing the running part. haha!!!

Congrats on the 10 miler! Awesome that you were so close! Have a great trip!

Speed Racer said...

Everyone's getting away but me! Well my interests are piqued about your trip. Is it Michigan? Texas? Somewhere equally embarrassing that you don't want to tell us about? Iowa?

I can't wait to hear the flipper story.

Twice-a-day workouts mean you get more quality in each, but GOD it makes for a long day. Then again, so does a day when you're run down from a 2+ hour back-to-back double.

And you're not THAT off from the age excuse! I've seen people much younger use it successfully.

Have a good trip!