Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Bigmouth Strikes Again



Me and my…











So I decided to do a triathlon, and it’s six months away. That gives me plenty of time to bitch and moan and discover new horrors that many folks out there already know. So bear with me as I discuss these and many more issues in the coming months.

Today I joined a local fitness center with a big-ass pool. I even joined their ‘triathlon team’, because I desperately need help so I don’t make a complete fool of myself in the aforementioned b.-a. pool. So I’ll get some form of coaching, sometime soon, before I sink rock-like in three feet of water.

Now I belong to two fitness facilities, which means I have two gym memberships at the same time, which is just insane, but that’s Manhattan for you. Workouts will mean lifting for 30-45 minutes in one gym (‘Edge’ Gym), running 5 miles or so (outside, or treadmill when there’s ice), and then some laps in the pool at the other gym (‘Asphalt Green’) a half block away OR 30 minutes on the stationary bike. Some days I’ll do some of that, some just a little of that. Whatever the day, I should be ready for a nap by lunchtime, which ain’t kosher.

The money I’ve spent is also kind of insane, so I’m not even thinking of looking at buying a new bike anytime in the next few days, Mastercard should put a lock on my card or something. I looked at bike gloves and swim goggles yesterday at NYC’s largest sports store, and that’s about all I can handle right now.

Oh yeah, did I mention I’ve got ANOTHER MARATHON IN APRIL, too? I HATE winter marathon training, but I’ll turn off the caps lock, you can all relax now. Sorry. But why can’t I just act my age? I should be sitting on the couch, eating tubs of Ben & Jerry’s, watching ‘The Biggest Loser’ and going to bed early. But no, I had to register for all this crap. And get ready for it, apparently.

I know, I know, I have no real regrets; but I sure have plenty of time to come up with a few.

As usual, thanks for listening.


P.S. I have another insane ‘goal’ for the year (believe me, it’s not an Ironman), but I’m not discussing it until I’m relatively sure I can ‘Git ‘Er Done’, to quote Larry the Cable Guy. Whoops, if I can quote him, I better get off that couch…

Link to Insanely Hyperactive Morrissey Mash-Up by DJ Payroll

4 comments:

Dubs said...

Wow, you are brave!! If you want the pressure off, I can enter it too... everyone will be looking at the girl drowining or falling off her bike and you can wizz by. haha!! Good luck on your goals!!! You'll Get 'er done!

Angry Runner said...

With your foray into one of the most expensive individual sports that exists (i'm sure there are others, but still), there will be much time to mourn your credit card bills. I hope you're getting points or miles or something...

I went window shopping at SBR Multisports one day...south of central park or something. They have all kinds of nonsense up in there to put your disposal income to use.

Not gonna lie, I have a feeling that your posts are going to get better and better as this year goes on...

Sunshine said...

You made me laugh with your comment!! (good job)

NYC seems to have lots of possibilities for runners.
Looking forward to reading about your fun.
You Go!!

Speed Racer said...

This may be a stupid question, but why don't you just use the pool gym exclusively? I can't wait to hear 7 months of diatribes as you try to find your way through the world of swimming and biking.

And if you don't like winter marathon training, you could always take my approach and NOT train at all.

(By the way, I have a secret goal for next year, too. Have you ever heard of Stone Cat? It's 50 something and they're not kilometers. I'll probably be coming to you for high-volume advice, or company on some training runs.)