Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Potpourri for a Hundred, Alex

Haven’t watched Jeopardy since the Clinton administration, so there’s probably not even a hundred dollar question anymore… anyway, today it’s just random musings…

Last Saturday’s race was not without at least one annoying fellow runner. About mile two, a fine, upstanding runner passed your pal, and that’s fine and all that, but then proceeded to position himself directly in front of Mr. S. as if Mr. S. wasn’t even there, with tons of room on either side of the course to spare. He didn’t have headphones on, so he couldn’t blame a loss of hearing or general tuning out. So, after letting him move up slightly, I managed my way past him over the next few minutes. About five minutes later, he did it again, and that was when I let out a loud-enough-for-him-to-hear ‘Jeez!’. No answer, but that was OK, because I passed him and never saw his hairy shoulders try that crap again. Perhaps Jesus heard my frustration, and gave me the strength to smoke him and a few more folks along the way. Which may explain my recent obsession with said savior and all that whitebread ‘a dream is a wish your heart makes’ crap. As Max Von Sydow said to Linda Blair in ‘The Exorcist’, ‘The Power of Christ compels you!’, even in a 5-miler.

Speaking of The Great Redeemer, boy, was it a hot one The Good Lord laid on us today. I knew it was all that praise-a-thon taunting in the last post that got the temperatures up, but honestly, people. So here’s a question: does running in 91-degree weather mid-day, in direct sun and 90% humidity qualify as a ‘training run’? I did manage a 7:45 mile (over the 6-mile loop of CP) most of the time, while that charming pre-heatstroke headache arrived right at the end and all... Well, it felt like a hard training run, though no tempo intervals or hills or any of that stuff was involved. Sometimes I think extreme weather (heavy rain, nasty heat, etc.) makes me run faster so I can get the damn run over with. Anyway, tomorrow the run will definitely not be later in the day, running that late, when it’s boiling hot is moronic and just asking for it.

Since I was too busy to run in the morning, I had to hit a morning auction in mid-town, even managing a coffee stop before settling in to see ridiculous amounts of money being spent at Christie’s… Ended up at that ‘Today Show’ Dean & Deluca that gets free advertising every morning while tourists from Omaha scream and hold up homemade signs telling you how old they are today. So I’m sitting at D&D with my coffee and staring out at the NBC set, and Al Roker sort of, well, waddles by. After all that intestinal surgery to lose weight a few years back, he’s still fighting the fat. God bless him, it ain’t easy… and if you’re reading this, like me you probably don’t have his weight issues. Yeah, we probably get enough exercise for everybody else put together, but at least we can get out and do it, folks. Slow or fast, whatever, we’re pretty lucky.

Whoops, can’t get too reflective and sentimental, it’s not good for business. But you can’t ignore today’s theme, ‘A dream is a wish your heart makes’, and all that shit. Word!

Fun Link to Linda Blair’s ‘Curves’-Approved Quad Stretch

4 comments:

Renee said...

It may be in Al Roker's best interest to cancel his eating across the USA show on FoodTV. I've battled the old bulge, and one of the best things I could do was not have a TV show based on my identity as a jolly chubster eating a lot and telling people what tasted best.

I thought running at 7am sucked yesterday, I can't believe you ran in that shit mid-day. All I did was walk to the liquor store at noon and I thought I was going to pass out. And, therefore, I opened the booze midway home.

I'd show concern, but as Satan you must have a lot of experience running in much hotter, if slightly less humid, scenarios.

Stephanie said...

What a morning blast reading your post.
Yes, indeed we are lucky that we like to torture ourselves and have this great side effect of staying healthy :-)

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Well, I ran earlier today (Wednesday), and it felt so much worse than yesterday I can't even joke about it. After 35 minutes, I had to stop and walk for a minute, run 5 minutes, walk again for a minute, on and on, until I topped out at about an hour in.

It was just brutal, and not that late in the day, either. No sun to burn off the humidity. And then later, during the afternoon joy of air conditioning, the power goes out! That was a scary 45 minutes of rising temps and that 'uh oh, guess I'm going to have to go see a movie across town or something just to get out of the heat'. Anyway, at least I wasn't stuck in the subway or in an elevator like a lot of people...

Thank God (and I'm not being ironic or cute by mentioning God this time) cooler temperatures are coming back for the weekend.

Angry Runner said...

That video doesn't only show how to stretch the quads, but it really opens up those hip flexors.

I'm very happy I am slacking this week and didn't have the honor of running outdoors. Don't worry, I'll get mine soon enough.