Monday, May 21, 2007

Healthy Kidney 10K, Central Park, May 19th


Last Saturday’s race in Central Park turned out well despite the crowds (5413 runners funneling clockwise around the park) and the same old hills. Otherwise, it was a seasonably cool morning, perfect for a race. A record was set for the 10K course, 28:08, with several world-class runners competing and every running team in the area showing up to accrue NYRR team points. We got a nice non-cotton technical t-shirt, but this particular race is always known for offering that, a nice touch.

We only had several minor bouts of crankiness; we moved ourselves a little closer to the start to avoid the usual two dozen 12-minute milers who want to get right up front with their headphones, blocking faster runners during the first mile. As we’ve said many times before, we love you slower folks for showing up, glad you’re here, but please be smart about placing yourselves in the pack. It must not be fun getting run over, either.

Other than that (and a guy at mile 4 who decided to weave and run side-to-side across the course for no apparent reason), it was a nice day for cranky runner, finishing in the top 10%. Wanted to run under 7 minute miles, happily finished a nice amount below that, and amazingly closed in within 10 seconds away from a years-old PR. Too out of breath to ask rearguard runners ‘Who’s your Daddy?’, we celebrated at the finish line by just being glad it was all over.

Some days it just works out, doesn’t it? So we have to remember those good days, and pull up those positive vibe race files off the brain’s hard drive when there’s two miles left in a future race and running isn’t so fun all of a sudden.

Oh well, on to the next one. Spring training is in full swing, so be careful out there…

4 comments:

Ron said...

Good run Cranky, I know what you mean. We also love kids running in races. But please not up front, It always seem to happen, a little guy is up front and I don't see him until it's to late... Boom he's right there and down he goes. Another victim trying to run with the bigger boys.

And sideways guy... I think I saw him in a race down here... He ran right into me... It took all it could not to let my foot trip him. (or did it, oops!)I guess there is a little crankiness in all of us.. Mix it with ego and you got a deadly combination.
Congratulations on a great run..
See ya on the road,runron.

mindy said...

Way to go Satan!! (I always wanted to say that). You are truly a speed demon these days, wow! What an awesome race for you. Seems like yesterday we were running up the coast of CA....
Congrats on a perfect day and race!!!

Angry Runner said...

I typically know my place in the pack...not so I don't get run over, but rather so I don't get humiliated the first mile into the race and have half the field pass me. Corral/wave starts are great for the bigger races and tri swims, but sometimes too much of a hassle to set up for the smaller races. Oh well...

Given your pace, it sounds like you can give my Trainer a run for her money. I am trying to get her into a triathlon so I can get a good lead on her out of the water, but she refuses any sort of multisport activity. If I talk enough trash maybe she'll try it just to shut me up...

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Ron, thanks for confirming my experiences. To be honest, I find swerving and slow people when I'm just walking down the sidewalk in the city, so I don't know why I should be surprised to find them in races.

Mindy, the 'Satan' name was bestowed when Donna (aka Running Bitch) remarked that I was pushing co-runners on a run, perhaps in an evil 'hurts so good' way. Well, thanks for the positive vibes, and it does seem like yesterday that we were running on a 5% sideways incline along the coast of CA.

Coral/wave starts ARE a good idea, A.R... Maybe even in smaller races... Keep talking trash with Scorpion Woman, she'll take the bait sooner or later. Hang in there...