Friday, December 28, 2007

I’m Baaa-ck….



If anybody had checked this blog over the last week or two, and found nothing much going on, at least I can say that I was away from the old keypad most of the time. Last week I flew to southern VA, aka Crackerville, for a little family Yule-ishness. You know it’s C.R. writing this, not many others could come up with a dumb-ass phrase like that. But you’re welcome to try.

Anyway, I have nothing to report beyond that I got a head cold for Christmas, among other, far more rewarding things. I am just getting over it (I hope), and I’d write more about it but you’d end up reading a whiny tirade, and enough of that crap, right?

Now I’m finding myself sitting down and conversing with, well, me, about what races are coming up and damn training during winter. Which I hate, but if I map it out, it gives the illusion of being somehow official which in turn makes me feel like I know what the hell I’m doing.

Next up is the Manhattan Half Marathon at the end of January, then a few odd races probably, followed by Boston’s Heartbreak Hill on 4/21. And I am edging closer to the Patriot Half Marathon Which Includes Some Swimming and Biking, Too, on 7/5, a first for me. Before then I will at some point be discovered swimming in the Hudson River, NYC’s very own petri dish on the west side. And running over tourists in Central Park on some borrowed bike that’s been carbon-14 dated to 1986.

So pretty soon the complaints and snippy observations will begin anew. I have a feeling that ’08 Crankiness will a lot like the ’07 Crankiness, except with new features, like ‘Bike Seat Tokhes Pain Roundup’ and ‘Somebody Bitch-Slapped My Rotator Cuff’. I apologize, in advance…

P.S. Above is a picture of my niece Chelsea, in pre-nap mode, which adequately describes her entire life. If you have food, great, but if not, you’re wasting valuable time and interrupting canine REM sleep. I felt her facial expression also adequately described the after-holiday torpor that hits us all before the arrival of guilt-inducing ‘what have I done with my life this year?’ thoughts that arrive right at new year’s…

5 comments:

Speed Racer said...

"Yule-ishness"?! This coming from the guy who made fun of me for saying "yuckiness"?

I look forward to the rants about crotch-ache. Then I'll start calling you crotchety runner.

Do you want company for the Manhattan Half? Do you think I could still sign up?

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

SR, sure you can sign up! Those NYRR folks only turn away runners during marathon (lottery) registration and that expensive Half in August. Otherwise, they're race whores when it comes to getting willing runners to show up for their races. The Manhattan Half is January 27th, so check your schedule. There are two more halfs, one in the Bronx in February, and one in Brooklyn in April, just in case you want to consider those instead of, or in addition to Manhattan (which incidentally, is two loops of the park plus a mile or so of icing on the cake). And anybody else who wants to run here, come on down, NYC beckons...

- Crotchety

Dubs said...

Ahhh, a dog's life sounds nice and relaxing!! Hope you are feeling better!

Wishing you lots of new PR's in 2008!

Phil said...

Great pic!

Hope you're feeling better after your travels ... BTW ... you need to go much further south to find Crackerville. As a son of the south (Macon GA), I can say with confidence that I've been to Crackerville, and it isn't in VA.

Have a great 2008.

Angry Runner said...

Awwwww nice dog!!!

If there is a blogger get-together at the Patriot Half, I'll come watch. We're all glad you're back.