Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The “I” Word



















Got back last night from The Country That Rhymes With Pants. It was a fine trip (more on that later), but I found myself battling the “I” Word. To borrow from several clichés, it’s the word that dares not speak its name, and the bane of running, and I was afraid to say it out loud for fear it would be true after all. That word is “Injury”.

My name is Cranky Runner, and I am an Injured American.

Three days before I left for Paris, I ran a harder-than-usual set of hill repeats in Central Park and felt OK. Next morning, my right Achilles (or is that A. Chilles?) tendon freaks out as I step on the floor. ‘Hey, that hurt’ blogboy said, and off I went to run a regular 5 or 6-miler. No way; after 2 miles, I knew I was cutting this one short. The next day, same experience, but this time it hurt more, meaning even less mileage. On Friday I sucked it up and ran 5, did OK, but still the same dull pain, and I’m starting to get a burning sensation going up the back of my leg, which cannot be good.

It was then that I decided I was going to take time off, despite the training for the marathon in three weeks. It was a mind-bending five days of me not running and me seeing other runners on the road and me irrationally hating them. Me, me, me… I know. But it really is frustrating, especially after such a nice summer of races and decent training. Plus, I very rarely get injured. Damn.

So after five days I came back to running a little, still feeling the $%*&# Achilles tendon. It didn’t help that I was on my feet all day, every day, but I was in France, at least. A fast ten-miler last Sunday made me feel much better, though I was feeling the tendon later that day. Damn, again.

So yesterday morning I ran in the Luxembourg Gardens, got passed by sharky teenagers in physical education class from the local high school, and felt sad to be leaving and sad to be on the injured list. I never got a chance to get sick of running 1.23 mile laps around a small park in Paris. But now I'm back in the 'hood, and I’m ready to hit the road to try again. Funny how sitting on a plane can make you rest your legs and feel better, I guess that’s a good thing.

For the record, I am not canceling my appearance at the Chicago Marathon, whatever form that participation takes. I will not sit around and feel sorry for myself, just… cranky. Same as usual, right?

Achilles Tendon Info

7 comments:

Renee said...

Dang, mista! That bites. I'm sorry to hear you've been afflicted, but the Achilles injury just means the gods are threatened by your ability to run so fast. They can't catch you so they needed to tweak the tendon a bit.
You get a little extra long taper, then. Maybe that will be super-beneficial?

Angry Runner said...

Shit. Not that it will make you feel better, but I've been there thrice times. 2 in the right and 1 in the left...I feel your pain.

I suppose you can go through the House-type differential and find out the underlying condition to your symptom (muscular weaknesses, tight _____,etc), but who knows. Take some time off. You may get faster as a result.

I'll raise a glass of that yak's blood to your speedy recovery and subsequent Chicago stompage. At least you hold up better than me...the last time my Achilles flared up I could barely walk, and then put myself in a boot for 2 weeks. Oh the memories...

rustyboy said...

Ah: Ye olde injury preparing for a race. A classic tale. Like my 2nd favorite bedtime yarn, "The Runner Who Began His Taper and Ended Up With A Cold".

Injuries suck, major-time. My sympathies. I'd kiss your achilles, but people would talk then, wouldn't they?

Donna said...

R, it dawned on me that this is the first significant running injury of yours since I’ve known you, which I’m estimating to be about 10/11 years; wow, so even the machine is destructible…

I’m sure that doesn’t make you feel any less cranky to hear that. Continue to rest and know that we won’t be breaking any world records in Chicago. If you’re still hurting next week, you may want to consider a shot of cortisone or mini pack of steroids to knock out the inflammation out of that narrow area. At least that is what worked for me back in 2000. Heal quickly. See you soon. -Running Bitch!

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Thank you all for sharing the T-Pain. It's not the end of the world, just today's workout, right? Yeah, I keep telling myself that, at least. And time off is not a bad thing, either, I kind of liked not having to run every single day while I was away, that in itself is a different kind of pressure. But I'd rather have the choice to not run, though. Oh well, now I can just be extra-cranky, I guess.

No Wetsuit Girl said...

Flowers have just been sent with a card that says "My sympathies, get well soon". In the meantime, I hope that you have the patience to stay in shape without having to amputate your leg. Got a bike?

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

NWetsuitG,
Nope, I don't have a bike... but if I rectify that and go to the dark side (same thing), I know some folks to call for advice. Be careful what you wish for!
- R