Monday, May 5, 2008

Race Report: Brooklyn Half Marathon

Not much to say, it was another race. Same as last year’s, started at the Coney Island boardwalk, then inland, going up Ocean Parkway to Prospect Park and three hills you’d never want to see at the end of a race. Lots of folks call it a flat, easy course on which to hit a PR, but they’re full of crap. I don’t mind hills, I’d just rather not have all of them pop up in the last three miles of a half marathon.

Facts n’ Stats:

Saturday, May 3rd, 9AM
Brooklyn, NY
48 degrees + overcast = depressingly familiar
5832 runners, grouped into corrals by pace
My finish time: 1:30:33
My 39th half marathon, and third fastest

So I had a pretty good finish time considering it was a post-marathon ‘show up and see how it goes’ race. Four seconds slower than last year’s NYC Half finish time, which was also surprisingly fast for me. So it looks like I may try to actually train for the NYC Half this year, at the end of July. That is, if I get in through the lottery, because I missed qualifying by 29 seconds. Anyway, I see the goal already, shaving 10 seconds per mile off, for a sub-1:29.

Speedwork starts tomorrow.

5 comments:

Sunshine said...

Just 29 seconds! so amazing! Good luck with the speed training.

Bob Almighty said...

Seriously, I'm going to be looking over my shoulder almost the entire run leg at the Patriot trying to figure out when you're going to come flying by..with Post Swim Post bike rage and adrneline.

Sweet Time 7 min. faster than my current best.

Speed Racer said...

Looks like that Boston fitness is serving you well. That's effing awesome.

Hills? Blech. Who needs 'em? Wanna move to FL with me? It's hot and flat, and right now we can't ask for much more than a little bit of sunshine...

Dubs said...

1:30 - that is just under 7 minute miles, right? Pretty sweet for 13.1 miles!!! Congrats! I would cry if I saw 3 big hills at the end of that. haha! I'm not too thrilled about my hilly 5K next weekend. haha!

Dubs said...

HAHA!! I just looked at your profile and saw what you had listed as your interests! hee hee!!