Monday, November 5, 2007

New York City Marathon

Yesterday I ran the marathon here in NYC, and managed to finish yet another 26.2 miles of awful-tasting gels, elbowing Europeans, sneaky hills, and wonderful crowds. I survived, but finished in a disappointing time for me. I’ll write much more later, but I just wanted to confirm in case there was any doubt out there that I’m a little nuts for running two marathons four weeks apart. I’ve done it before, but I’m starting to think I’m too old for this crap. Especially after my bad experience in the last 4 miles yesterday, when my quads joined the Hollywood writers and went on strike for the duration. There’s nothing like standing on the side of a marathon course and pounding the front of your legs to stop the pain while surrounded by medical personnel. Well, maybe there is, but I don’t want to know what that is.

As I said, I’ll write lots more later once I get the plastic, sickly-sweet taste of strawberry/banana Power Gel out of my mouth.

5 comments:

mindy said...

First - Congrats on the marathon! After all the marathons you've done, it's still no small feat - and you conquered yet another one. As you pointed out - you did run a marathon 28 DAYS ago. In your runner's heart, you know that's not enough time to fully recover. I don't think it's age that's getting you, but maybe just a little bit of burnout.
Looking forward to hearing about stawberry banana gel (yyeeechh!)

Angry Runner said...

You're a machine.

Sunshine said...

Well, anyway,
CONGRATULATIONS!!

Getting rid of the sickly-sweet certainly is part of recovery. Looking forward to your report.

Renee said...

Mmm... Gu.... (I haven't run long enough to need Gu in so long that I think I miss it.)

Okay, let's clear this up right now: Were you wearing a Front Runners singlet? Michelle is all over yelling "Go Front Runners!" to everyone she sees in these shirts. She's like a machine. And so she'd yell it and then the runner would already be gone and all I'd see is the back of his head. And there are lots of really good-looking (from behind) fast men (shameless compliment) in Front Runners singlets. It's enough to worry me on a good day.
(And I of course was just past the 5K dressed like a hard to miss idiot. A runner actually yelled at me "I like your Crayola style!" I've never been cheered on for my impeccable fashion sense by a runner before.)

That turned into a novel. Oops. Making up for the writer's strike.

I think you still did pretty well, just getting out there for two races in a month and actually racing them is impressive. Does this mean you won't be running Philly?

Mr. Satan A. Chilles said...

Thank you all for your congratulations and good cheer while my legs still ache. I always feel better later after racing and finishing with a personally lackluster performance, and your comments definitely speed that up.

R, I was wearing a Front Runners (long-sleeve) shirt, and those goofy orange sunglasses they gave us, so that could've been me you saw. I do know that as I was going up 4th Avenue some dark-haired angel on the right side of the street screamed out 'Go Front Runners!' with a big smile, I heard it, and screamed back 'thank you!' while looking right at her. Could've been Michelle. Even if it wasn't, thank her for me, I heard every time someone screamed that out, whether I responded or not.

Those other fast male front runners piss me off (!) Glad you noticed them, though, even if I'm a little jealous when they pass me (as several did at the end). And I'm glad your Crayola outfit elicited responses from the runners, even that helps us get through the course.

And no, no Philly for me this year. Thank God.