Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Deleted Post from Last Friday

I have no pretensions that this is a music blog. But Blogger and the record labels are under the impression that my posting of a Kool Moe Dee track from 1988 is going to send the music industry into a tailspin. Well, guess what guys, you started that tailspin around 1995, and done nothing to make it better ever since. Y’know, it’s always someone else’s fault in the U.S. of A.

And for once, I actually know what I’m talking about; I spent many years in the music business and watched the whole house of cards cave in, in slow motion. Just like Circuit City.

So Blogger deleted my post and sent me the same form letter that other blogs have been getting for several weeks now. It’s not as if I just posted the new BeyoncĂ© album, in it’s entirety, for free, but you wouldn’t know that from the tone of the threatening e-mail I got. Perhaps I’m splitting hairs about offering up any kind of music, but believe me, Kool Moe Dee isn’t getting a penny of royalties from anybody’s download, whether it’s from me or iTunes. Instead, Sony/BMG pockets all that money to buy Leona Lewis a mixed deli platter the next time she’s in the New York office.

Then again, I don’t think anybody was downloading music from my blog, I usually got about 6 listens or downloads per track, anyway. So it’s no great loss, my readership could probably fit comfortably into a Ford Escalade, and not even care about what’s missing. But honestly. Next somebody will be chasing me for posting a picture I took with my own fucking camera.

2 comments:

mindy said...

WTF? Who keeps track of this shit? Loved yoru Leona Lewis comment though. Do you think she gets specialty cheeses too? I'd like for someone to bring me a specialty cheese platter...

Speed Racer said...

Who are you old people talking about? I stopped opening the music links long ago when I realized that (to be polite) we do not have the same music tastes.

So am I correct in understanding that you were the sneezing butterfly who set this whole economic collapse in motion by posting bad 80's music? Jerk!